Receive an object or an experience
You know that feeling of excitement about getting the latest shiny new thing?
Have you ever noticed how quickly that much anticipated object loses its lustre, once you actually obtain it? Soon enough it fades into the background among all the other objects.
Now remember that trip you took, the one you know you will never forget?
See how the value of that experience has grown as time has passed? And it will stay with you forever.
Amazing isn’t it?
Research shows the value of experience
What’s that word we use for when an investment increases in value? Ah, yes: appreciation!
There has been some fascinating research which shows that experiences gain in value over time, whereas objects lose value. In 2014 two interesting pieces of research were published.
One piece of research published in Psychological Science journal, summarised in this article, found that the anticipation of experiences brought more pleasure than the anticipation of acquiring material items.
They even found that people are much more likely to have positive interactions with each other while waiting for an experience (such as in a queue for a concert), than while waiting to purchase an item.
“You can think about waiting for a delicious meal at a nice restaurant or looking forward to a vacation,” said one of the authors, “and how different that feels from waiting for, say, your pre-ordered iPhone to arrive.”
Before making the choice, participants said they were aware that an experience would be likely to bring them more happiness. But they still felt it would make more sense financially to buy the material item.
However their opinions changed after making the purchase: participants said that both happiness and financial value were greater with an experience than a material item.
Unique and unpredictable
Our experience is unique to us.
Experiences can become much more interesting stories than any object. We enjoy sharing and people enjoy hearing about our experiences. Perhaps this may be because experiences are unpredictable. We simply don’t know how they will go, and each person’s experience could be different, which makes them all the more exciting!
The ultimate relaxing experience
So why are we talking about this?
You don’t even have to physically travel to distant lands. In the float pod, your mind can go anywhere!
There are many options to combine and enhance your floatation experience.
- Why not participate in one of the many outdoor activities available in the Forest of Dean – you could go for a walk or a bike ride, and then come for a float afterwards.
- We will offer packages with other types of treatments at Float in the Forest. For example you could double your relaxation with a float followed by a massage. You’ll be walking on air!
- Enrich your experience by sharing it with a friend: float at the same time as a friend, emerge and bask in the post-float glow together.
- You could also make a gift of floatation, by giving a gift card to someone who you think deserves this special experience. Imagine their anticipation…
- We will also offer other exciting activities at Float in the Forest – more on that to come!
The opportunities are endless, and who knows where they will lead?